Sites
Filtrer les sites selon :(add a filter)

Mississippi Mills

Informations sur l'événement en ligne

Portes ouvertes Mississippi Mills en ligne

À l’occasion de Portes ouvertes Mississippi Mills, visitez quelques lieux traditionnels sans sortir de chez vous. Les lieux ci-dessous proposent des visites, des vidéos et des activités adaptées aux personnes de tous âges.

Close

7 Sites

Mississippi Mills Fire Department Station 1 - AlmonteDoors Open Mississippi Mills

Nouvelle

Mississippi Mills Fire Department Station 1 - Almonte

Station 1

The Mississippi Mills Almonte Fire Station and Training Centre houses the Mississippi Mills Fire Department’s fleet of emergency response vehicles, including front line and training pumpers, a tanker, aerial, and multi-purpose truck with UTV, and a Lanark County Rescue unit. The 5-bay garage is also home to the Almonte Association’s 1934 GMC 2 ½ ton fire truck. 

Located on the grounds behind the fire station is the Mississippi Mills Fire Department’s Training Centre. The facility is utilized by the Lanark County Recruit Program, the department’s 50 volunteer firefighters and other departments from across the region.

  • Accès complet en fauteuil roulant
  • Visites guidées
  • Stationnement
  • Photographie autorisée

Architecture

Année de construction: 2002
Types de bâtiment: Caserne de pompiers

Dates/hours open

sept. 22 - sept. 22

Mississippi Valley Textile MuseumDoors Open Mississippi Mills

Nouvelle

Mississippi Valley Textile Museum

The Mississippi Valley Textile Museum collects, preserves, and tells the stories of the mill workers and the local labour history while offering an open, inclusive space for the local community and visitors from across the globe.

Through contemporary textile and textile themed art and historical interpretation and programmes, the Mississippi Valley Textile Museum conserves and interprets the industrial textile heritage of the Mississippi Valley.

Between 1840 and 1870 woolen manufacturing emerged as a major Canadian industry. Mills were built in areas such as the Mississippi Valley, where waterpower, labour and wool supplies were abundant. James Rosamond built mills at the Carleton Place and Almonte in the 1840s and 1850s. His sons, Bennett and James, began this much larger mill in 1866, in partnership with George Stephen of Montréal. For the next 40 years it was one of the largest, most progressive mills in Canada. The main building's nearly flat roof, stair tower and fenestration are characteristic of late l9th century textile mills in Canada.

Description of Historic Place

The Rosamond Woollen Mill National Historic Site of Canada is located on Coleman Island next to the lower falls on the Mississippi River in the town of Almonte, Ontario. The mill’s main structure is a large, six-storey, flat-roofed, stone building that features a stair tower and regularly placed windows. It stands adjacent to a two-storey warehouse-and-office annex which survives from an original cluster of ancillary structures. In 1987 the process of converting the mill into residential condominiums was begun while the two-storey office and warehouse building was opened as the Mississippi Valley Textile Museum in 1991. Official recognition refers to the two buildings.

Heritage Value

The Rosamond Woollen Mill was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1986 because: it was one of the largest, most progressive mills in Canada; and the main building’s nearly flat roof, stair tower and fenestration are characteristic of late 19th-century textile mills in Canada.

Rosamond Woollen Mill was built in 1866 to manufacture fine tweeds. Milling emerged as a major manufacturing industry in Canada between 1840 and 1870. Mills were built in the Mississippi Valley, where waterpower, labour and wool supplies were abundant. James Rosamond built mills at Carleton Place and Almonte in the 1840s and 1850s. His sons, Bennett and James, began the large Almonte mill in 1866, in partnership with George Stephen of Montréal. Subsequent expansion of the mill continued until the early 1900s. The textile mill was a functioning industrial complex until 1986.

Source: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, June 1986.

Character-Defining Elements

The key elements that contribute to the heritage character of this site include:
the prominent location on the bank of the Mississippi River in Almonte; the L-shaped massing of the large six-storey central block, and the two-storey, rectangular massing of the adjacent Annex building and warehouse; the quality of the construction materials used, notably limestone exterior walls; the characteristics common to late 19th-century textile mills in Canada that include the austere elevations, the nearly flat roof, the stair tower and the regular fenestration pattern; the remaining original interior configuration, features and finishes and the interior details of the Annex building offices including wood floors, wainscoting, trim, oak panelling, pressed metal ceilings, decorative use of stained glass, and legibility of the post and beam construction; the spatial relationship between the two remaining buildings and their relationship to the river.

  • Accès complet en fauteuil roulant
  • Visites guidées
  • Adapté aux enfants
  • Lieu historique national (Canada)
  • Stationnement
  • Toilettes
  • Photographie autorisée
  • Possibilités de location

Coordonnées

3 Rosamond Street East
Almonte, Ontario
Courriel: curator@mvtm.ca
http://www.mvtm.ca

Architecture

Année de construction: 1866-1900
Types de bâtiment: Commercial Monument historique Musée Galerie
Architect: Andrew Bell

Dates/hours open

sept. 22 - sept. 22

North Lanark Regional MuseumDoors Open Mississippi Mills

Nouvelle

North Lanark Regional Museum

The North Lanark Historical Society was established in 1965 by local people interested in preserving the history of Almonte and the townships of Beckwith, Lanark, Pakenham, and Ramsay. At the time, they were the only group in the area that was dedicated to collecting artefacts and information on the history of the North Lanark region and transcribing original archival documents. In 1970, the Historical Society began to lease the former S.S. #11 Appleton schoolhouse from the Lanark County Board of Education and developed the heritage building (built in 1878) into a museum.

The North Lanark Regional Museum officially opened on June 26, 1971. Adopting the motto, ‘Preserve What We Have Gained,’ the Society hoped to promote the museum as an educational institution, containing an array of pioneer artefacts, antiques, and historical and genealogical information.

Sadly, on July 19, 1979, shortly after its designation as a Heritage Site, the museum and most of its contents were destroyed by a fire. The Society and museum volunteers undertook the arduous task of salvaging and rebuilding the entire collection. A new museum building was purchased and generously moved gratis by the Drummond Brothers. Their mother, Doreen Drummond had visited the ruins of the schoolhouse and asked her sons to do what they could to help the Society rebuild. When the museum was re-opened in 1980, the building was named the Doreen Drummond House in memory of her kindness.

  • Accès complet en fauteuil roulant
  • Visites guidées
  • Adapté aux enfants
  • Stationnement
  • Toilettes
  • Photographie autorisée

Coordonnées

647 River Road
Appleton, Ontario
Courriel: nlrmuseum@gmail.com
https://www.northlanarkregionalmuseum.com/

Architecture

Types de bâtiment: Monument historique Musée

Dates/hours open

sept. 22 - sept. 22

Mill of KintailDoors Open Mississippi Mills

Mill of Kintail

Situated on 154 hectares amidst field, forest and the Indian River, explore year-round the six kilometers of trails on this heritage property. The Mill of Kintail boasts a large number of picnicking areas and a large covered shelter adjacent to a playground and half basketball court. Visit the Dr. R. Tait McKenzie and Dr. James Naismith Museum in the summer months to learn about the area’s two national historic figures.

    • Visites guidées
    • Adapté aux enfants
    • Lieu historique national (Canada)
    • Accès partiel en fauteuil roulant
    • Site protégé par la Fiducie du patrimoine ontarien
    • Toilettes
    • Photographie autorisée
    • Possibilités de location

    Coordonnées

    2854 Ramsay Concession 8
    Mississippi Mills, Ontario
    Courriel: info@mvc.on.ca
    https://mvc.on.ca/conservation-areas/mill-of-kintail/

    Architecture

    Types de bâtiment: Attraction Monument historique Musée

    Dates/hours open

    sept. 22 - sept. 22

    Mississippi Mills Waste Water Treatment PlantDoors Open Mississippi Mills

    Nouvelle

    Mississippi Mills Waste Water Treatment Plant

    Mississippi Mills owns a wastewater treatment facility located on Wolf Grove Road just outside of Almonte. This facility treats all sanitary sewage generated in the Almonte ward and is operated by Ontario Clean Water Agency on behalf of the Municipality. This facility treats wastewater using advanced processes and outputs treated water to the Mississippi River.

    • Visites guidées
    • Stationnement

    Coordonnées

    212 Wolf Grove Road
    Almonte, Ontario

    Architecture


    Dates/hours open

    sept. 22 - sept. 22

    Almonte Old Town HallDoors Open Mississippi Mills

    Almonte Old Town Hall

    This beautiful historical landmark is in the heart of Almonte attracting attention from all over town (as was the intention when the building was built).

    The property for Almonte Old Town Hall was first purchased in 1884 for only $6000, and since then it has only been owned by the Town of Almonte.

    The building was erected in 1885 by contractor and architect George Willoughby during the North-West Rebellion (or the second Riel Rebellion) of 1885. Alterations were done to the front entrance of the building in 1966 where a new wooden porch was created. Later on, a modern update was done to the porch by adding four stone piers and an enclosed porch to replace the wooden one.

    Before starting construction on the town hall, a whole triangle of houses (10 small houses and a few stores) had to be torn down to create room for the new building. The stones used to create the hall were brought in from multiple quarries; stones for the main building were brought in from Hogan’s Quarry while the stones for the trimming were brought in from Beckwith Quarry.

    The building itself is 3 and a half stories high including the attic, 79 + 9” long and 34” wide. The East tower is 90” high and the West tower is 60” high. The foundation is of rough ashlar stone as are the walls in the building. There were many modern additions and alterations made to the building including an enclosed entrance at the South-West door. As well, there were alterations to the front entrance which used to be a double panelled Gothic style door with stone voussoirs (stone arch) and a fanlight. The front entrance was then replaced with modern glass doors.

    Ceiling AOTH

    The auditorium’s soaring ceiling of hand-hewn Douglas Fir beams offers an acoustic setting unparalleled in the area.

    Since the building was erected in 1885, it has housed a variety of different operations including municipality offices, the fire station, police station and jail house, and the municipal library. The building also once housed a fire bell which was removed in 1968 upon completion of the new fire hall.

    During the train accident of 1942 where 39 passengers died and more than 150 persons were injured, the bottom floor of the town hall was used as a morgue and a first aid service for the survivors of this horrific accident.

    In 1979, the property was declared a heritage site, and the roof, which is a rare type of Ontario roof finish, was repaired keeping much of the original roofing. The roof is a decorative roof with four colours: light grey, medium grey, dark grey-blue, and brick red.

    Now the building is the premier venue for theatre, musical performances, craft shows, weddings, conferences, exhibitions, community dinners and events, feature films, and professional music recordings. As well, it is the location of the Municipality of Mississippi Mills Information and Tourism Centre.

    The auditorium is used for theatre, musical performances, weddings, conferences, art shows, arts and craft shows, community dinners, feature films, and professional music recording. The auditorium is the home of dance groups featuring, live music, swing dance (big band) and contra dancing (Celtic band), the Valley Players Theatre Group, Almonte in Concert Music Series, Folkus Music Series, Art in the Attic, and the "Be Your Best" acting classes.

    The second floor multi-purpose room is an excellent space for small receptions, meetings, classes, small lectures, art displays, dance classes, and yoga.

    • Visites guidées
    • Lieu historique national (Canada)
    • Stationnement
    • Accès partiel en fauteuil roulant
    • Toilettes
    • Photographie autorisée
    • Possibilités de location

    Architecture

    Année de construction: 1885
    Types de bâtiment: Salle de concert Bâtiment gouvernemental Monument historique Bibliothèque Théâtre Caserne de pompiers
    Architect: George Willoughby

    Dates/hours open

    sept. 22 - sept. 22

    Le marais Appleton (les propriétés Gardiner, Grace et Neilson)Doors Open Mississippi Mills

    Nouvelle

    Le marais Appleton (les propriétés Gardiner, Grace et Neilson)

    Le marais Appleton est un vaste réseau fluvial de marécages et d’étangs lié à la plaine d'inondation de la rivière Mississippi. Les propriétés Gardiner, Grace et Neilson sont toutes gérées au nom de la Fiducie du patrimoine ontarien par l’office de protection de la nature de la vallée de la Mississippi (en anglais seulement), dans le but de préserver les caractéristiques naturelles et la biodiversité de ces propriétés. Leur accès est donc interdit au public. Les propriétés sont situées dans le marais Appleton, reconnu comme une zone humide de catégorie 2 et zone d’intérêt naturel et scientifique (ZINS) d’importance provinciale touchant les sciences de la vie, en raison d’une représentation singulière de marais fluviaux, de marécages et de forêts sèches sur une plaine argileuse. Dans le cadre de Portes ouvertes en ligne, faites une promenade virtuelle en bateau à travers le marais Appleton en regardant la vidéo ci-dessous.

    • Portes ouvertes en ligne
    • Vidéos
    • Thème 2024 : Réutilisation adaptative

    Coordonnées

    L’accès au public est interdit pour le moment en raison de la nature sensible des caractéristiques de la zone humide.
    Mississippi Mills, Ontario
    https://www.heritagetrust.on.ca/en/index.php/properties/gardiner-grace-neilson

    Architecture


    Dates/hours open

    juin 23 - juin 23