While this site has participated in Doors Open Ontario in the past, it is not part of the current season’s program. Please check the Home page for this year’s events and participating sites.

Masonic Hall, Shuniah Lodge No. 287Digital Doors Open Thunder Bay

  • Digital Doors Open
  • Videos
  • Kid-friendly
Masonic Hall, Shuniah Lodge No. 287

Free masons – from the oldest and largest worldwide fraternity – casually met in the Thunder Bay area at a bunkhouse at the Shuniah Mine prior to the Lodge’s first official meeting on September 7, 1872. In 1887, the Masons bought the former Port Arthur Town Hall building where they operated until fire destroyed it in 1907. The current Lodge – part of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario – was built in 1909-10 and designed by architect Marshall B. Aylesworth. It was constructed for commercial purposes at street level while the upper floors were to house Lodge facilities. Local Nipigon quarries supplied the marble for the entrance and the staircase to the second floor. On the staircase landing is a First World War memorial to fallen Lodge members. The second floor houses the impressive Lodge Hall, with its 5.8-metre (19-foot) vaulted ceiling and Ionic pilasters. The vaulted ceilings continue into the banquet hall, where portraits of past Masters are displayed. The Lodge’s social rooms are located on the third floor, one of which contains a 100-year-old antique pool table.

Contact info

270 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario

https://grandlodge.on.ca

Architecture

Year built: 1910
Building type:Commercial
Architect: Marshall B. Aylsworth
Architectural style:Neoclassical

Dates/hours open

Nov 27, 03:58am - Nov 27, 03:58am