How can my community become involved in Doors Open Ontario 2022?
Any community or cluster of communities may participate in Doors Open Ontario if they meet the following registration criteria:
- an organizing committee must be formed; the committee should consist of a range of community partners, including (but not limited to) the heritage sector, tourism sector, municipal sector, corporate sector and community volunteers
- one lead contact must be appointed by the local Doors Open organizing committee to coordinate, manage and act as liaison between the Ontario Heritage Trust and the participating community/community cluster
- sites included in Doors Open events must be of historical, architectural or cultural significance (natural heritage sites and heritage gardens are eligible)
- events must take place between April 16, 2022 and October 23, 2022
- communities must have the ability to open a minimum of 10 sites of historical, cultural and/or natural significance for public access during the same time period
- admission to the main attraction at each participating property must be free to the public; sites that are normally open should consider opening an additional part of the property or arranging a special activity
- the organizing committee agrees to acknowledge Doors Open Ontario and the Ontario Heritage Trust in all promotion and publicity materials produced for their local event
Digital events - NEW!
Any community or individual site may participate in Digital Doors Open, keeping the following criteria in mind:
- To be considered for inclusion in the Digital Doors Open program, site listings must contain digital content – including but not limited to virtual tours, videos (YouTube, Vimeo or Facebook), games and activities, and/or collections and resources. The Trust will work with you to identify potential content for your site, but you will be responsible for that content.
- When considering whether to participate, keep the following in mind:
- Try not to replicate the in-person experience, where possible. Provide a truly unique digital experience for visitors – thereby making your site more memorable and engaging.
- Even if your site is not normally open or accessible to the public, gather resources that would provide exclusive behind-the-scenes access to your site. A Digital Doors Open experience may be the only way that visitors can explore your site.
- Consider a YouTube or Facebook live-streaming event for a special tour or concert at your site. We can promote the listing and tease out the upcoming live-streaming event.
- Digital site listings can be added here.
- While there is no cost to add a digital listing to our website, you should where possible add a link and/or logo for Doors Open Ontario on your own website, with the words “As seen on Doors Open Ontario.” This enables valuable cross-promotion between our sites.
- As the Digital Doors Open Ontario program is year-round, you can add digital content at any time. Note: It could take up to one month to process new listings, depending on volume, so try to make your submissions with ample time.
- Consider seasonal activities at your site, too. For example, a park or conservation area may offer unique winter activities versus summer offerings. You may wish to submit a new listing to support different seasons.
- When including images with your listing submission, we ask that you send no more than five but no less than one. Please ensure that the images are high-res and that you have rights/permissions to use them. For more information on copyright ...