Mary J.L. Black Community Hub, Thunder Bay Public LibraryDigital Doors Open Thunder Bay
- Digital Doors Open
- Collections and resources
Named in honour of Fort William's first permanent librarian, Mary J.L. Black, this $4-million modern facility was designed as a comfortable welcoming space for the community. Opened in 2011, the Mary J.L. Black Community Hub replaced the original Mary J.L. Black Library that was constructed in 1938 on nearby Brock Street. The bright, naturally lit entryway perfectly highlights an impressive 6.5-square-metre (70-square-foot) mosaic that was relocated from the original library. Tiled by Ruby Owen, this 27,000-piece mosaic was unveiled in 1965. The mosaic is based on the work entitled “The Indian that Became a Thunderbird,” by Ojibwe artist Norval Morriseau. Beyond the traditional resources of a library, this community hub aims to provide access to multiple services and specialized programming. During normal operations, be sure to check out Northern Nature Trading – an interactive program developed by Science North that is open to all ages, which encourages the discovery of nature.
Contact info901 Edward Street South
Thunder Bay, Ontario
ArchitectureYear built: 2010-11
Architect: John Knox, Chamberlain Architect Services