While this site has participated in Doors Open Ontario in the past, it is not part of the current season’s program. Please check the Home page for this year’s events and participating sites.

First Unitarian Congregation of OttawaDigital Doors Open Ottawa

New

  • Digital Doors Open
  • Virtual tours
First Unitarian Congregation of Ottawa

The Ottawa Unitarian Association was formed in 1898, with the first church built at the corner of Elgin and Lewis streets. In 1967, the congregation moved to its current location on Cleary Avenue. Constructed in 1967, this beautiful building is memorable for its soaring spire and the beauty of its interior design. Upon entering the main doors, visitors are welcomed into the sanctuary, which features tall ceilings of red cedar and an expanse of windows that overlook nature. Its architect, James B. Craig, won second place in an annual city design contest run by the Ottawa chapter of the Ontario Association of Architects. First Unitarian Ottawa has a variety of bright, open spaces that can be used for concerts and personal ceremonies. It also shares its space with various other non-profits. The 1.8-hectare (4.5-acre) parcel of land overlooks the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway and the Ottawa River, and the grounds include the beautiful Meditation Gardens (an Ontario Communities in Bloom award-winner), Unitarian House (senior’s residence) and River Parkway Children’s Centre. To learn more about this property during Digital Doors Open, take a virtual tour.

Contact info

30 Cleary Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario

https://www.firstunitarianottawa.ca

Architecture

Year built: 1967
Building type:Place of worship
Architect: James B. Craig

Dates/hours open

Dec 02, 05:26pm - Dec 02, 05:26pm