Niagara District Court HouseDigital Doors Open Niagara-on-the-Lake

New

  • Digital Doors Open
  • National Historic Site (Canada)
  • Site has blue and gold provincial plaque
  • Site is protected by the Ontario Heritage Trust
  • Videos
Niagara District Court House

Constructed c. 1847, this courthouse served as the official county seat of Niagara District until the judicial courts were moved to St. Catharines in 1862. Its large courtroom interior was home to the Shaw Festival’s Court House Theatre until 1973. Today, Parks Canada and the Chamber of Commerce have offices here. It was designated a National Historic Site in 1981.

The Niagara Court House was constructed c. 1847 and served as the official county seat of Niagara District – with courtrooms, meeting rooms and jail cells – until the judicial courts were moved to St. Catharines in 1862. Its large courtroom interior was home to the Shaw Festival’s Court House Theatre until 1973. Today, Parks Canada and the Chamber of Commerce use the building for offices. The Court House received designation as a National Historic Site in 1981. For Digital Doors Open, learn more about the site in the video below.

Contact info

26 Queen Street
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
E-mail: kevin.turcotte@notl.com
https://www.notl.com/recreation-events/facilities/court-house

Architecture

Year built: 1847
Building type:CourthouseHistorical landmarkTheatre
Architect: William Thomas
Architectural style:Neoclassical

Dates/hours open

Oct 22, 10:00am - Oct 22, 04:00pm

Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.