St. Lawrence the Martyr Roman Catholic Churchin-person Doors Open Hamilton
Built in 1890, St. Lawrence is designed in the Romanesque style. With its open plan, stained-glass windows, interior artwork, 1908 Casavant Frères pipe organ and 7.6-metre-high (25-foot) Carrera marble altar, St. Lawrence is a treasure in Hamilton’s north end. Join them as they celebrate their 133rd anniversary this year. Tea, coffee, juice and homemade sweets and snacks will be available.
By the end of the 19th century, Hamilton’s need for a Catholic church in the north end resulted in the construction of this Romanesque-style brick-and-cut-stone edifice. Dominated by its imposing four-storey tower, buttresses also divide the front façade into three bays. The main entrance contains a fine rose window. Of note are the Italian marble main altar and pulpit.
Contact info125 Picton Street East
ArchitectureYear built: 1890; 1908 (pipe organ installation); 1935 (renovations); 1955-65 (interior renovations)
Building type:Place of worship
Architect: Robert Clohency
Architectural style:Romanesque revival
Dates/hours openMay 06, 10:00am - May 07, 04:00pm
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (mass from 10 to 10:30 a.m.); Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (mass and May crowning celebration from 11 a.m. to Noon); all are welcome to attend