- Digital Doors Open
Enjoy a look inside the Ancaster Old Township Hall. Built in 1871 by William H. Thuresson, it is one of the finest pieces of stone architecture in Ancaster – complete with original apron stage, hardwood floors, arched windows and historically accurate colours. It has undergone several renovations over the years, but the original character remains.
The Ancaster Old Township Hall was built by William H. Thuresson in 1870. It was the centre of local politics for several decades, and also various exhibitions, such as the travelling Edison “magic phonograph” demonstration in 1878. It stands today as one of the finest pieces of stone architecture in Ancaster, complete with original apron stage, hardwood floors, arched windows and historically accurate colours. Having undergone several renovations over the years, its original character remains. The Hall is retained by the City of Hamilton for its historical significance within the community, but also remains functional, and can be used with its full kitchen and stage for many events, and with a capacity of up to 120 people. Learn more about this site through the video below.
Contact info310 Wilson Street
ArchitectureYear built: 1871
Building type:Historical landmark
Architect: William H. Thuresson