StoneleighDigital Doors Open Guelph
- Digital Doors Open
Waterloo Avenue, originally called Market Street, was one of the original entrances to the city of Guelph. As the street developed, it became the heart of the new town’s economy. By the 1850s, the quarries that surrounded Waterloo Avenue were a key part of that economy. The building at 225 Waterloo Avenue was constructed on land owned by David Kennedy, one of the most important quarry owners and a master stonemason. He was one of the original owners of Guelph Limestone, now known as the Dolime Quarry – the longest-operating quarry in the city. Remnants of the quarrying operation can still be seen in the backyard. The house, home of Robert C. Kennedy, was built in 1880 of locally quarried limestone in the neoclassical Georgian style with a centre-hall plan. The home is now being lovingly restored by its present owners. As part of Digital Doors Open, learn more about this beautiful house through the video below.
Contact info225 Waterloo Avenue
ArchitectureYear built: 1880
Building type:Private residence