- Digital Doors Open
The earliest mention of Castleton occurs when Joseph A. Keeler (1788-1855), the founder of Colborne and son of the original settler of the township, built a mill there around 1806. In that year, Keeler would have been 18 — young to be in the building business. But this goes to show his ingenuity and pioneer spirit. At first, the settlement was known as Piper’s Corners, given its location on Piper’s Creek, then Centreville and later the British-sounding name of Castleton was adopted. In 1875, Samuel L. Purdy purchased the mill, built the adjacent Gothic farmhouse in 1880, and his family lived there and operated the mill until 1948. As part of Digital Doors Open, learn more about this site through the video below.
Contact info1742 Percy Street
ArchitectureYear built: c. 1880
Building type:Historical landmarkPrivate residence
Architectural style:Gothic revival