Bishop's House of Glengarry, Thein-person Doors Open Cornwall and SDG Counties


  • In-person
  • 2024 theme: Adaptive reuse
  • Guided tours available
  • National Historic Site (Canada)
  • Parking
  • Partial wheelchair access
  • Site has blue and gold provincial plaque
Bishop's House of Glengarry, The

This stone landmark across from the St. Raphael’s Ruins was initially a presbytery for Father Alexander Macdonell, chaplain of the Glengarry Fencibles Light Infantry during the War of 1812, and later the first Bishop of Upper Canada. In 1924, symmetrical wings were added to each side of the presbytery in its transition to the renowned girls’ boarding school, Iona Academy.

Contact info

20019 County Road 18
St. Raphael's, Ontario


Year built: 1808; wings added in 1924
Building type:Historical landmark
Architect: Raoul Gariepy (designed 1924 additions)
Architectural style:GeorgianSecond Empire

Dates/hours open

Aug 17, 10:00am - Aug 18, 04:00pm

Saturday and Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.