Timmins Memorial CemeteryDigital Doors Open Timmins-Porcupine
- Digital Doors Open
- Collections and resources
The old Catholic Cemetery (1912-16) was moved from the churchyard on Fifth Avenue to this location in 1917, under direction of Father Theriault. Check this map to see how, historically, Protestants were buried on adjacent land, as well as the position of the Legion site, which was established in 1937. All sites were amalgamated into the Timmins Memorial Cemetery in 1966. It remains one of three cemeteries under management by the City of Timmins. Points of interest include a monument to victims of the 1928 Hollinger Mine Disaster, the headstone of hometown hockey hero Bill Barilko (watch the 2016 Tragically Hip’s performance of Fifty Mission Cap), and graves bearing the names of several well-known families and early pioneers of the Porcupine area.
Contact info1011 Pine Street South
ArchitectureYear built: 1917
Building type:CemeteryHistorical landmark