- Digital Doors Open Icon Ontario
Sheave Tower (owned and operated by the Cambridge branch of the Architectural Conservancy Ontario) is the province's last remaining wooden water-powered hydroelectric generator tower – a 19th-century marvel of ingenuity. This local landmark is neatly tucked away under a canopy of Carolinian forest and set within the boundaries of a provincially significant wetland. The 9.5-metre (31-foot) tower has been restored to its original bold oxblood colour. Built in 1876, it was a remarkable feat of engineering that harnessed waterpower via pulley and cable for the nearby gristmill. It was one of the world’s smallest hydroelectric generating projects. As part of Digital Doors Open, watch the video below to learn more about this important historical building.
- Digital Doors Open
Contact infoOld Mill Road
ArchitectureYear built: 1876
Building type: Historical landmark