This building, originally a nurses’ residence for the psychiatric hospital, was connected to the hospital by a pedestrian tunnel, which is still there. In 1985, it became the administration offices for Elgin County and later the Municipality of Central Elgin. Many alterations occurred, including closing in balconies to make offices. But some spaces, stone carvings and woodwork remain largely intact.
- Full wheelchair access
- Guided tours available
Contact info450 Sunset Drive
St. Thomas, Ontario
Telephone: 519-631-1460, ext. 154
ArchitectureYear built: 1939
Architect: W.L. Somerville with J.T. Findlay
Architectural style: Art deco
Dates/hours openSaturday October 5 – Saturday October 13, 2018
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.