The three-cell Hillsdale Jail was constructed by local builder William John Davenport in 1906 when Hillsdale was designated as a “policing village.” The building has served several purposes over the years – including as a jail, courthouse, polling station and home for transient people. According to local lore, the lockup is considered the smallest jail and courthouse currently standing in Ontario.
Contact info4552 Penetanguishene Road
ArchitectureYear built: 1906
Architect: William John Davenport (builder)
Building type: Attraction, Courthouse
Dates/hours openSaturday September 29, 2018
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.