This library was founded in 1855 as a Mechanics’ Institute. The present neoclassical structure – completed in 1914 with a Carnegie Foundation grant – features exterior monumental brick pilasters with carved limestone trim and bases, and a barrel-vaulted ceiling with decorative plasterwork. An addition dates from 1972. The building was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 2009.
- Full wheelchair access
- Self-guided tours available
Contact info824 1st Avenue West
Owen Sound, Ontario
ArchitectureYear built: 1914
Architect: Forster & Clark
Architectural style: Neoclassical
Building type: Attraction, Historical landmark, Library
Dates/hours openSaturday June 1, 2019
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.