Barriefield is a heritage village overlooking the Cataraqui River. Established in 1814, the village boasted taverns, boat-building yards, a sawmill, blacksmiths, carpenters, shops, a village school and a church in its heyday. Barriefield Village was designated as the first Heritage Conservation District in Ontario and still retains its 19th-century character. As well as many restored houses, there is a neo-Gothic church (Brunel), a township hall (Newlands), the Barriefield Rock Garden, an antique shop, river views and vistas. More information, including the self-guided tour, can be found at their website.
- Partial wheelchair access
- Site has blue and gold provincial plaque
Contact infoStart at 414 Regent Street (the Frontenac County Schools Museum)
ArchitectureYear built: Various
Architectural style: Arts and crafts, Edwardian, Georgian, Gothic revival, Log structure, Ontario Gothic, Regency, Vernacular, Victorian
Building type: Commercial, Historical landmark, Museum, Place of worship, Private residence
Landscape: Garden, Landscape, Natural heritage, Trail
Dates/hours openSaturday September 26, 2020
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.