The Unionville Train Station is one of Canada’s oldest remaining railway stations – and one of the few 19th-century stations still in its original trackside location. Constructed for the Toronto and Nipissing Railway, it is clad in board-and-batten siding with a gable roof and six-over-six paned windows. It was designed as a simple building, with a trackside platform sheltered by an extension of the roof, supported by simple, sturdy brackets. The west end of the building contained a passenger waiting room, with walls clad with vertical wainscoting and a wood stove. The east end of the building served as a freight shed. In the middle of the station was a baggage room and an office for the Station Agent, with a ticket window opening into the general waiting room. The station served the Grand Trunk Railway from 1884 to 1923 when the line became part of Canadian National Railways. By the late 1970s, the station was showing its age and the railway considered demolition after the station was damaged by fire. Local residents opposed this demolition and successfully campaigned to save the station. The municipality restored the building as a community centre in 1989. In 1993, the Town of Markham purchased the land containing the Unionville Train Station and the Stiver Mill. For more information, watch the video below.
- Digital Doors Open
Contact info7 Station Lane
ArchitectureYear built: 1870
Architect: A.T. Button (Uxbridge)
Building type: Transportation
Dates/hours openSaturday September 12 – Monday November 30, 2020
Part of Digital Doors Open Markham