Ontario Heritage Trust / Fiducie du patrimoine ontarien
Search

  • General information

September 20, 2014

More site listings to come!

Our 12th annual Doors Open event will feature dozens of sites – big and small, new and old – in and around Waterloo Region. Plenty of first-time sites are included every year.

Find our local map/guide this summer on our website, at Waterloo Region libraries, visitor centres and museums, and in the Waterloo Region Record on September 13.

Updates can always be found on Facebook (www.facebook.com/pages/Doors-Open-Waterloo-Region/82880538162). And you can always follow us on Twitter (@DoorsOpenWR).

Partial wheelchair access
Washrooms
Self-guided tours available

Bean-Wright House (Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast)

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
73 George Street
Waterloo, Ontario
Year built: 1882
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Theodore Bellinger built this fine Italianate home 132 years ago. Its commanding position high above the street shows off its heavy-bracketed eaves, four-panel main entrance transom and large windows with graceful arches. The current owners of the house have restored many original interior and exterior features, and now operate it as Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available

Sun Life Financial

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
227 King Street South
Waterloo, Ontario
Year built: 1912; 1921
Architect: Darling & Pearson; Sharpe & Horner
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Modern Renaissance style interior of Sun Life Financial – one of Waterloo's best-preserved heritage interiors – features inlaid marble, an elegant great hall with an ornate plaster ceiling, and many other original details. The heritage designation of the 1912 and 1921 façades reflects their importance in the streetscape of Waterloo. Guided tours through the building’s historical sections will be offered.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available

University of Waterloo School of Architecture in Cambridge (former Riverside Silk Mill)

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
7 Melville Street South
Cambridge, Ontario
Year built: 1919-38; renovated 2004
Architect: Levitt Goodman Architects, Toronto (2004 renovation)
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The last industrial plant built on the Grand River in Galt, Riverside Silk Mill had large open spaces flooded with natural light. Its industrial atmosphere, spacious interior and spectacular town and river views were preserved and enhanced in its School of Architecture transformation. The on-site Cambridge Galleries Design at Riverside exhibit Ex Industria will examine the region’s industrial architecture.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available

University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
10A Victoria Street South
Kitchener, Ontario
Year built: 2009
Architect: Siamak Hariri, Hariri Pontarini Architects, Toronto
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Distinctive for its colourful curtain wall featuring images of medicinal plants, the School of Pharmacy represents a unique investment in downtown renewal. The building optimizes natural light and uses organic materials such as wood and stone to create a welcoming environment for students, staff and the community. A 2011 Ontario Association of Architects Design Excellence Award winner.
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available

Waterloo County Gaol and Governor's House

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
77 Queen Street North
Kitchener, Ontario
Year built: 1852-53 (gaol); 1878 (Governor's House)
Architect: Mellish & Russell, Brantford (gaol); D.W. Gingerich, Waterloo (Governor's House)
Building type: Courthouse
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; guided tours only (approximately 1 hour each)
Both of these buildings – the oldest Waterloo County structures in existence – were saved from an uncertain fate by community action. The exteriors are designated and the interiors are excellent examples of adaptive reuse. The stone gaol houses provincial courtrooms. The brick Victorian Governor’s House is used for court offices and public meetings.