Ontario Heritage Trust / Fiducie du patrimoine ontarien
Search

  • General information
  • Community information
  • BECOME A VOLUNTEER

September 27, 2014

Mark your calendars!

Doors Open Walkerton and Area is returning with 20 local sites of historical or architectural interest – including the Walkerton Jail!

All sites will be open free of charge.

Detailed guide books with maps of the area and background material on the sites will be available online at www.visitwalkerton.ca or on event day at Victoria Jubilee Hall.

For more information, call 519-881-3413.

Come join us in Walkerton where shopping and dining opportunities are unique and plentiful!

The Walkerton Chamber of Commerce & Business Improvement Area promotes businesses within our membership through various promotions and streetscape and beautifcation projects. We know that you'll love our downtown and the various business districts that abound in Walkerton.

For a full list of businesses, visit www.visitwalkerton.ca. Whether you’re visiting Walkerton and area for the shopping or tourist attractions, we're sure you'll be hooked on Walkerton!

Doors Open Walkerton and Area is in need of volunteers to help at the various sites on Saturday, September 27.

If you can volunteer for a three- or six-hour shift, call 519-881-3413.
 
Thank you!

Parking
Self-guided tours available

Bruce County (Walkerton) Jail

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
209 Cayley Street
Walkerton, Ontario
Year built: 1866
Building type: Historic landmark
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Formerly the Walkerton Jail, this stone building cost $14,670 to build. Convicted murderer John Haag, who was hanged here in 1868, survived because of a conspiracy between his doctor and the hangman. In 1968, the provincial government leased the jail, which served as a correctional institution until it was closed in December 2011.
Parking
Self-guided tours available

Chepstow Inn

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
2 Concession 6
Chepstow, Ontario
Telephone: 519-366-2626
Year built: 1869
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This inn, now a bed and breakfast, opened in 1869 as the Chepstow Hotel. The original bar remains, and the bell-shaped porch roof is unusual. Horses are said to have been kept in the basement, which contains evidence of a doorway that led to a tunnel to a neighbouring brewery.
Parking
Self-guided tours available

Classic Farm House

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
186 Concession 10
Elmwood, Ontario
Style: Victorian
Building type: Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This property was purchased from the Crown in 1870, and the original Ontario farmhouse section of the house was built soon after. Victorian in style, the front portion was added in 1887 and the back portion in 1995. Antique furnishings, perennial flower beds, mature trees and three large porches trimmed in gingerbread grace this heritage home.
Parking
Self-guided tours available
First World War

Eckford House

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
446 Concession 6
Walkerton, Ontario
Building type: Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
John Eckford, a Presbyterian minister from Scotland and once reeve of Brant Township and superintendent of schools for Brant, Carrick, Culross and Greenock Townships, purchased this property in 1882. The red-brick home is built in the shape of a cross. Eckford’s daughter married Col. David McCrae of Guelph, whose eldest son, John, wrote the famous poem “In Flanders Fields.”
Self-guided tours available

Johnson House

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
955 Old Durham Road
Walkerton, Ontario
Year built: 1880
Style: Classical revival
Building type: Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The house on this property, bought from the Crown in 1855, was built about 1880 in the classical revival style. Although the house has no columns, the square footprint, window placement and central entrance all exemplify this style. For two decades, a dairy operated from a small outbuilding behind the house, which still exists today.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Self-guided tours available

Knox Presbyterian Church

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
208 Cayley Street
Walkerton, Ontario
Telephone: 519-881-1431
Year built: 1875
Style: Gothic revival
Building type: Place of worship
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Originally the Free St. John Church, Knox Presbyterian is Gothic revival in style and has flying buttresses, impressive stained-glass windows and a double-leaf, wood-panelled door with decorative iron hinges. The church was the first in Walkerton to have a pipe organ, which was installed in 1896. Its 1926 replacement is still in use today.
Parking
Self-guided tours available

Malcolm Hotel, cemetery and cairn

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
1010 Concession 10
Elmwood, Ontario
Building type: Cemetery, Historic landmark, Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Malcolm began in 1858 when a Presbyterian church was built, and then a general store and other shops, cheese factory, community hall, post office and school. The McGuire’s Hotel building still exists. When the railway lines were laid a few miles east, thriving Malcolm became a ghost town. A cairn marks the site of the post office and general store.
Parking
Guided tours available

Marl Creek Renewables Inc.

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
644 Sideroad 20
Elmwood, Ontario
Year built: 2012
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Marl Creek Renewables creates bio-gas from cattle manure collected at the feedlot of Carl Frook. In a process called anaerobic digestion, naturally occurring bacteria break down the waste in an airtight facility to produce bio-gas (methane and carbon dioxide). The methane gas is used to run a generator that produces electricity and heat.
Self-guided tours available

McCurdy Bridge

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
Brant-Elderslie Townline
Walkerton, Ontario
Year built: 1913
Building type: Transportation
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
After a logjam destroyed the old bridge, the county granted $2,100 in 1869 to finance a new one, named for Mr. McCurdy, who sold the property. The structure was replaced in 1886, 1898 and 1913, and later by the current steel bridge. The stone supports of the original bridge are visible just north of the present structure.
Self-guided tours available

Napper Barn

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
1324 Concession 8
Cargill, Ontario
Year built: 1892
Building type: Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
James Napper built this wooden barn, on a stone and mortar foundation, in 1892 for $500. Elm pegs set in holes drilled using hand tools hold the frame of hand-hewn elm beams together. Some of the original square nails used to attach the pine-board siding are visible. On display are a functional rack lifter and threshing machine, and antique tools.
Parking
Self-guided tours available

Pearl Lake School

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
417 Sideroad 30 North
Walkerton, Ontario
Year built: 1873
Building type: Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This stone schoolhouse, named after the nearby lake, had two entrances, one for boys and one for girls. The school was heated by a box stove, which required about 15 cords of maple firewood a year, at 62 cents a cord. The school closed in 1968 when students were bused to the new Brant Central in Walkerton.
Parking

Pinkerton General Store

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
376 Bruce Road 15
Pinkerton, Ontario
Year built: 1885
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
One of the oldest surviving buildings in the village, the Pinkerton General Store had a wing on each side that contained a harness shop and a tailor shop. Over the years, the building has housed a post office, general store and tailor. Outbuildings were added and, around 2002, a rural antiques business began here.

Pinkerton Library

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
1926 Bruce Road 15
Pinkerton, Ontario
Year built: 1884
Building type: Library
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This painted, wood-frame building, originally a woodworking shop, survives mainly in its original form, including the store shelving and original show windows. It eventually became a library and was sold at public auction in 1958. Currently, the building is leased by nearby Spokeshave Antiques.
Parking
Self-guided tours available

St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church and Cemetery

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
657 Concession 14
Walkerton, Ontario
Year built: 1883
Building type: Cemetery, Place of worship
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
As early as 1856, itinerant priests celebrated mass here. In 1864, land was donated for a log church and cemetery. A larger brick church was built in 1883. Regular services were discontinued in 1950, but more than 300 former parishioners celebrated the church’s 100th anniversary in 1983. Fire destroyed the church in 1990; only the original entrance and foundation remain.
Parking
Self-guided tours available

St. Peter's Lutheran Church and Cemetery

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
260 Sideroad 30
Walkerton, Ontario
Year built: 1877
Building type: Cemetery, Place of worship
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In 1876, 58 members of First St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, who wanted to remain part of the Canada Synod, withdrew and formed St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church. The cornerstone was laid August 3, 1877, and a frame church was erected, followed soon by a parsonage and cemetery. St. Peter’s has one of the last active rural congregations in Brant Township.
Self-guided tours available

Silver Creek Bed & Breakfast

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
17 Yonge Street South
Walkerton, Ontario
Telephone: 519-881-0252
Style: Victorian
Building type: Commercial, Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This unique, century-old, red-brick Victorian home has been a bed and breakfast for many years. On the south façade is a large bay with double-hung, wood-frame windows. A cozy brick porch is tucked into the front of the house. The carved front door has a large oval glass pane in the centre, surrounded by decorative woodwork.
Parking
Guided tours available

Valentine Stark Mill

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
4575 Bruce Road 1
Paisley, Ontario
Telephone: 519-353-4017
Year built: 1885
Building type: Commercial, Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
John Valentine, one of the area’s first settlers, sold a mill to James Stark in 1872. Stark operated it until 1884, when it burned to the ground. The mill was rebuilt in 1885 on the original site. Its five floors and 929 square metres (10,000 square feet) of space make it one of the largest such structures in Ontario.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Self-guided tours available
Site is protected by the Ontario Heritage Trust

Victoria Jubilee Hall

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
111 Jackson Street South
Walkerton, Ontario
Telephone: 519-881-2826
Year built: 1897
Style: Victorian
Building type: Historic landmark
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Constructed in 1897, this unique hall in high Victorian style is a designated historical building. With eight different levels, this former fire hall and municipal office features a 300-seat opera theatre with balcony, still in its original condition. Volunteers now operate the hall, which barely escaped demolition in 1997.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Self-guided tours available

Walkerton Public Library

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
249 Durham Street East
Walkerton, Ontario
Telephone: 519-881-3413
Year built: 1913
Building type: Library
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In 1877, the Mechanics’ Institute and Library Association had 138 books in circulation. The original building was destroyed by fire and was rebuilt in 1914 with a grant from Andrew Carnegie. The yearly membership fee was 10 cents. This designated building is now a branch of the County of Bruce library system.
Self-guided tours available
Site is protected by the Ontario Heritage Trust

Wesley House

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
810 Yonge Street
Walkerton, Ontario
Year built: 1885
Style: Italianate
Building type: Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This house, built by Judge William Barrett in 1885, features notable Italianate styling, still evident in the double brackets with “drops” under the eaves that match the style on the square bay windows. Walkerton Herald-Times newspaper owner Harold Wesley, whose family ran the weekly paper for over 90 years, once owned and occupied the house.