In the early 1900s, prospectors followed rumours of gold into the Porcupine region and, by 1910, the Great Porcupine Gold Rush was on, creating one of Canada’s largest and most successful gold mining camps.
Jack Wilson led a group and discovered the Dome property, which would become the Dome Mine. Benny Hollinger and Alex Gillies discovered the claim that was developed into the Hollinger Gold Mine. Sandy McIntyre and Hans Buttner arrived shortly after the Hollinger-Gillies team and staked their claims immediately to the north of the Hollinger Mine, which eventually became the nucleus of the McIntyre Mine.
The towns of South Porcupine, Timmins and Schumacher were planned around each of these mines in order to house the miners and their families, and soon supported a thriving multicultural community. These three towns were amalgamated in 1973 into what is today the City of Timmins.