Search

  • General information
  • Community information
  • BECOME A VOLUNTEER

September 10, 2016

The City of Thunder Bay Heritage Advisory Committee invites you to join us for another Doors Open Thunder Bay event where you can explore significant heritage sites.

Approximately 15 venues will open their doors.  Highlights include a working grain elevator, a repurposed school, local churches and the Thunder Bay Art Gallery.

With the provincial focus on medical science and innovation, the community will also showcase facilities at Lakehead University and Confederation College as well as a tour of an early doctor’s home and displays of early medicine in the city.

The City of Thunder Bay was created in 1970 by the amalgamation of the cities of Fort William and Port Arthur and the adjacent townships of Neebing and McIntyre. The city is located in the northwest part of Ontario on the west shore of Lake Superior.

With a population of 109,140, Thunder Bay is the largest community on Lake Superior and in northwestern Ontario. Thunder Bay is a gateway and has become the regional centre for cultural life and a commercial, administrative and medical hub. The city also offers a number of historical, cultural and entertainment attractions.

From the rich cultural heritage of the indigenous people and the early days of the European fur trade to the golden age of mining and forestry, Thunder Bay is steeped in history dating back centuries.

For more information

Doors Open Thunder Bay is a unique opportunity to volunteer and learn more about the community.

For more information, contact archives@thunderbay.ca or call 807-625-3197.

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available
Ontario's medical science and innovation

CommuniTea & Coffee

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
112 East Frederica Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-475-6977
Year built: c. 1910
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This two-storey brick commercial block initially contained a doctor’s office and pharmacy. A liquor store here in the late 1950s added storage space that is now the site of an ayurvdedic (holistic) treatments spa – one of the world's oldest medical systems. A gourmet coffee shop has been added, featuring fair-trade coffee and offering space for community art exhibits and meetings.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Self-guided tours available
Ontario's medical science and innovation

Confederation College REACH Building

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
1450 Nakina Drive
Thunder Bay , Ontario
Telephone: 807-475-6110
Year built: 2011
Architect: FORM Architecture
Building type: Green building
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The addition and renovation to this college building houses the health and community services programs, as well as associated labs, clinics and simulation learning environments. The centerpiece in the glazed atrium of this LEED structure features three-storey timber tree structures. A feature is also an aboriginal art display depicting the Teachings of the Seven Grandfathers.
Parking
Guided tours available
Ontario's medical science and innovation

Cyclotron and Radiopharmacy

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
1040 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-684-7010
Year built: 2014
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Established in 2007, the Thunder Bay Regional Research Institute is the centre for a growing health sciences and biotechnology cluster. Crucial components are the cyclotron and radiopharmacy housed in the seven-storey Health Services building. Contained in a concrete bunker, the cyclotron produces medical isotopes for use in medical imaging and research.
Parking
Guided tours available
Ontario's medical science and innovation

Doctor's Cottage

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
281 Ray Court
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Year built: 1906
Style: Period revival
Building type: Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Built in the English cottage storybook style, this 5,000-square-foot (465-square-metre) house on McVicar Creek incorporates verde stone and cedar shakes. Originally built for Cymanthe Ann Bready, widow of a grain magnate, it included a trophy room and mezzanine designed to accommodate a small orchestra. Since the 1930s, various doctors have made this their residence.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Ontario's medical science and innovation

George Jeffrey Children’s Centre

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
200 Brock Street East
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-623-4381
Year built: 2009
Architect: Form Architecture
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The centre, a 3,345-square-metre (36,000-square-foot) wood-frame design, has a therapeutic pool and treatment areas for children. This animated and invigorating lofty space for children features a playful two-storey entrance with exposed wood and dynamic floor patterns. Bubbles, wood trellises and dancing shadows all contribute to the vibrant atmosphere.
Parking
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Hillcrest Neighborhood Village Condos, The

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
96 North High Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Year built: 1928
Architect: C.D. Howe
Style: Edwardian
Building type: Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Constructed as the Port Arthur Technical and Vocational School, this building later became Hillcrest High School, which closed in 2009. Beginning in 2011, the site first transformed into the Thunder Bay Centre of Change and now is a multi-unit condominium development. The large classrooms were converted into living units, but the project maintains elements of the historical building.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
651 Beverley Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-344-9522
Year built: 1991
Architect: Ahsanul Habib
Style: Neoclassical
Building type: Place of worship
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This church is a cornerstone of Thunder Bay’s Greek Orthodox community, which is nearly 100 years old. Recalling the architecture of villages in Greece, the symmetry of this church creates a sense of calm and balance. The sanctuary is filled with theology in colour – icons completed by world-renowned iconographers and an iconostasis in elaborate carved woodwork of Honduran mahogany.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Ontario's medical science and innovation

Lakehead University Paleo-DNA Laboratory

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
1294 Balmoral Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-343-8877
Year built: 1999
Architect: Peterson/Habib
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Constructed as the Northwestern Ontario Technology Centre to provide an incubator for business, this site is noted for changing the regional landscape in design. Incorporating wood and glass on multifaceted angles, the building is like a diamond. Visitors will see the labs of the Paleo-DNA Laboratory that provides internationally renowned research in modern, archaeological and degraded DNA analysis.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available
Ontario's medical science and innovation

Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM)

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
955 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-766-7300
Year built: 2005
Architect: Teeple Architects of Toronto
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Northern Ontario School of Medicine at Lakehead University is located in a three-storey, $8-million building that includes classrooms, seminar rooms, multipurpose teaching spaces, examination rooms, a medical library, wet and dry laboratory spaces and medical research laboratories. A grand staircase, ascending through a sky-lit atrium, links each department. Views overlook the campus and a courtyard landscaped with indigenous plants.
Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Guided tours available

Plymouth Landing

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
600 Montreal Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-626-4433
Year built: 1919
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Plymouth Cordage Company built this 9,290-square-metre (100,000-square-foot), five-storey structure of concrete and brick in 1919 to accommodate the storage and transshipment of binder twine. Since 2002, the site has been under development and now houses Open-Mind Interiors. The repurposed building has a 743-square-metre (8,000-square-foot) showroom and warehousing facility, maintains many original features, and provides a beautiful view.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available

St. Patrick’s Cathedral

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
211 Archibald Street South
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-622-5389
Year built: 1963
Architect: Lyndon McIntosh
Style: Gothic revival
Building type: Place of worship
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
A modern adaptation of Gothic architectural style, St. Patrick’s Cathedral – the second church on this site – has a screen façade containing one of the largest stained-glass windows in North America. The entire building, including the separate bell tower, was constructed using pre-cast concrete elements attached to a metal framework.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available

St. Volodymyr's Ukrainian Orthodox Church

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
1502 Mountdale Avenue
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-577-7055
Building type: Place of worship
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This simple cross-shaped red-brick church was built with volunteer help under the supervision of John Mnoholitny, who designed many fine dome-capped structures in Alberta and other parts of Canada. The traditional layout features an open dome and apse at one end. An iconostasis constructed by P. Kipran of Winnipeg in 1953 separates the sanctuary from the nave.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Thunder Bay Art Gallery

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
1080 Keewatin Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-577-6427
Year built: 1976
Style: Brutalism
Building type: Attraction
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Established as a small public gallery in the Thunder Bay Historical Museum, the art gallery became a National Exhibition Centre at the Confederation College site. The facility was built to provide storage, administrative and exhibition space. A behind-the-scenes look will feature some of 1,600-plus works in the collection by First Nations and northwestern Ontario artists and conservation activities.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Urban Abbey

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
308 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-286-6574
Year built: 1908
Architect: R. Coffey
Style: Gothic revival
Building type: Place of worship
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This church has been praised as “a fine example of architecture and building” and a “handsome structure of Gothic design.” It is constructed of Milton pressed brick and white Simpson Island stone. In April 2015, the Urban Abbey was given the church and began to restore parts of the building that have, over the years, been lost to the community.
Parking
Guided tours available

Western Grain Elevator

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
102 Kingston Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-623-8500
Year built: 1913
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This terminal grain elevator – which has a storage capacity of 1,750,000 bushels in 48 concrete bins – includes railway, storage, handling and water shipping facilities. Opened as the Fort William Elevator on the Kaministiquia River, it is the only active elevator remaining.  Built of reinforced concrete, the site contains remnants of the original 1913 operating systems.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available
Ontario's medical science and innovation

Wiley Mansion

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
63 Carrie Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Telephone: 807-286-6574
Year built: 1910
Style: Gothic revival
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This house was erected for Mr. Franklin S. Wiley, a shipping magnate and lumber businessman. Purchased in 1939 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Sault Ste. Marie, it was renamed The Manor House in 2001, and renovated to accommodate the Alzheimer Day Program on the main floor, along with office space on the second floor. Designated in 2009.