Search

  • General information
  • Community information

August 19, 2017 - August 20, 2017

Be sure to take note of all the sites participating in Doors Open Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, presented by The United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.

Mark these two days in your calendar, and take in some of the great historical sites that our region offers. From churches to museums, there is something for everyone!

The United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry is an upper-tier municipality located in Ontario. It is comprised of six local municipalities – North Dundas, North Glengarry, North Stormont, South Dundas, South Glengarry and South Stormont – with a population of 65,000. We are a welcoming community with many great attractions across our wonderful region.

Parking
Kid-friendly
Self-guided tours available

Aultsville Train Station

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
13740 County Road 2
Morrisburg, Ontario
Telephone: 613-543-3704
Year built: Between 1866 and 1889
Architect: Grand Trunk Railway Company
Building type: Attraction, Historic landmark, Museum
Saturday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Aultsville Train Station is a 19th-century wooden station, originally located in the Lost Village of Aultsville. View an early locomotive, passenger coach, baggage car and refrigeration car on one of the few remaining sections of the original Grand Trunk rail bed. Also see the British Home Child exhibit about children who were sent to Canada as indentured labourers.

Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available

Carman House Museum

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
5895 Carman Road South
Iroquois, Ontario
Telephone: 613-652-4808
Year built: 1815
Landscape type: Garden
Style: Georgian
Building type: Museum
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Carman House is a 202-year-old Georgian limestone cottage that has been restored to its original form. It was built shortly after the War of 1812 by Michael Carman III, the son of a Palatine Loyalist. He was bequeathed the property in 1806 by his uncle, who had fought alongside the British during the American Rebellion.

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Glengarry Pioneer Museum

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
1645 County Road 30
Dunvegan , Ontario
Telephone: 613-527-5230
Building type: Museum
Sunday only: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Founded in 1962, the Glengarry Pioneer Museum offers a glimpse of Ontario’s Celtic history. The museum is home to 10 buildings from the 19th century and thousands of artifacts. Amongst its treasures is the Star Inn, which was a general store in the 1840s and later served as an inn and stagecoach stop in the 1860s.

Parking
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available

Historic SDG Jail

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
11 Water Street West
Cornwall, Ontario
Telephone: 844-814-5245
Year built: 1833
Building type: Attraction
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

This county jail building was constructed in 1833 and remained operational until it was closed in 2002. The facility housed inmates from Cornwall and across the modern-day United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry. The jail is home to many historical artifacts and displays; it is considered one of the oldest public structures in Ontario.

Parking
Washrooms
Guided tours available
Site has blue and gold provincial plaque

Historical sites of St. Andrews West

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
Meet at the intersection of Highway 138 and County Road 18
St. Andrews West, Ontario
Landscape type: Conservation area
Building type: Attraction, Cemetery, Place of worship, Museum
Saturday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Cornwall Township Historical Society invites you to visit the historical sites located in the village of St. Andrews. The magnificent St. Andrews Church, the pioneer cemetery (where explorer Simon Fraser and Ontario’s first premier John Sandfield Macdonald are buried) and the Raisin River Heritage Centre are just a few of the fascinating sites. Interpreters will be on site.

Parking
Washrooms

Lost Villages Museum

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
16361 Fran Laflamme Drive (Ault Park)
Long Sault, Ontario
Telephone: 613-534-2197
Building type: Museum
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The museum has a collection of 11 historical and heritage buildings from six villages that were lost in 1958 when the area was flooded to construct the St. Lawrence Seaway. During Doors Open, visit the church, train station, barbershop, schoolhouse, blacksmith’s shop, Forbes Memorial Building Reading Room and other structures.

Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available
Site has blue and gold provincial plaque
Site is protected by the Ontario Heritage Trust

Martintown Grist Mill

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
18544 County Road 18
Martintown, Ontario
Telephone: 613-528-4094
Year built: 1846
Architect: Alexander McMartin
Landscape type: Natural heritage
Style: Georgian
Building type: Museum
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

This is a rare example of a mid-19th-century Ontario gristmill constructed entirely of stone. Rather than an external water-wheel, it used 1840s turbine technology consisting of horizontal water-wheels powered by water running through the bottom of the building. The mill now houses a local history museum and hosts a farmers’ market and local artist exhibit in the summer.

Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available
Site has blue and gold provincial plaque

Nor'Westers and Loyalist Museum

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
19651 County Road 17
Williamstown, Ontario
Telephone: 613-347-3547
Year built: 1862
Style: Georgian
Building type: Museum
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

This Georgian-style building dates back to 1862. In 1967, it became a museum dedicated to depicting the story of Sir John Johnson and other Loyalists who settled in the area during the American Revolution. Special exhibits celebrate the bicentennial of the Williamstown Fair (the oldest agrarian fair in Canada) and the War of 1812.

Parking
Washrooms
French services available
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Priests Mill Arts Centre

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
16 Mill Square
Alexandria, Ontario
Telephone: 613-703-9430
Architect: Father Alexander MacDonell
Landscape type: Natural heritage
Style: Victorian
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Sunday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

This gristmill, built in1848 as the centre of commerce in Glengarry, currently houses the Priests Mill Arts Centre (PMAC). PMAC provides exhibition space as well as support and promotion for visual, literary and performing arts by regional artists. It is also a centre of glass art excellence and offers glass learning experiences.

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Self-guided tours available

St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
20788 South Service Road
Lancaster, Ontario
Telephone: 613-347-3804
Year built: 1898
Architect: John William Hurrell Watts
Landscape type: Natural heritage
Building type: Place of worship
Saturday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

This church was erected on the McLennan Estate in 1898. A small, cruciform, arts and crafts-style building, complete with belfry and three bells, this church is an architectural gem. Located on the South Service Road and surrounded by Glengarry Provincial Park and Lancaster Park, it is commonly known as "The Church in the Wildwood."