Ontario Heritage Trust / Fiducie du patrimoine ontarien
Search

  • General information
  • Community information
  • BECOME A VOLUNTEER

July 11, 2015

Coming soon!

Coming soon!

Coming soon!

Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Aylmer Legion Colonel Talbot Branch No. 81

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
211 John Street North
Aylmer, Ontario
Telephone: 519-773-5249
Building type: None, Military
Saturday: Noon to 4 p.m.
Legions in Canada have a rich military history. This early branch plays an active role in the Aylmer community. Come and enjoy a tour and see the treasured memorabilia and pictures. Join members on the back patio for refreshments.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Ontario's sport heritage

East Elgin Sportsmen's Association

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
9586 Springfield Road
Aylmer, Ontario
Telephone: 519-773-8868
Year built: 1955; 2013
Landscape type: Natural heritage
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Come and experience the heritage sports of archery and shooting at the East Elgin Sportsmen’s Association (EESA), located in a natural country setting. Formed in 1955 as a non-profit fishing and conservation club, the EESA clubhouse has been rebuilt from a log structure to a new two-storey facility. Try your hand at indoor archery and shooting (ammunition supplied at cost).
Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Washrooms
Self-guided tours available

Gay Lea Dairy Heritage Museum

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
48075 Jamestown Line, RR 2
Aylmer, Ontario
Telephone: 519-773-2955
Building type: Museum, Food and drink
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The museum’s collection, once a private one but now owned by Gay Lea Foods Co-operative Ltd., includes dairy memorabilia such as delivery wagons, milk bottles and cream separators, as well as other antique tools from other trades. Visitors can walk the trails on the 40-hectare (98-acre) property. See a butter making demonstration. Bring a picnic and enjoy the picnic area.
Parking
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available

Gold Star Alpacas

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
12062 Plank Road, RR 6
Tillsonburg, Ontario
Telephone: 519-866-3790
Year built: 1900
Architect: Unknown
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Gold Star Alpacas strives to breed high-quality alpacas and promote the Canadian alpaca industry with honesty and integrity. All of the alpacas on the farm are double registered and come from ribbon-winning champions. Come and see these beautiful animals, take pictures and browse in the shop, where first-class alpaca products are for sale.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available

Malahide Fire Station 3 - Springfield

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
51251 Ron McNeil Line
Springfield, Ontario
Telephone: 519-773-5344
Saturday: 1 to 4 p.m.
This station – bounded by Glencolin Line, Century Line, Pigram Line and Springwater Road – operates with a complement of 25 volunteer firefighters, and provides fire services programs to residents of the municipality. The firefighters use specialized rescue equipment for water and ice rescues. For Doors Open, the Fire Prevention Group will provide tours and some demonstrations to visitors.
Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
French services available
Guided tours available
Site has blue and gold provincial plaque

Ontario Police College

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
10716 Hacienda Road, RR 3
Aylmer, Ontario
Telephone: 519-773-4203
Year built: Remodelled in 1976
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; guided tours at 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
The Ontario Police College (OPC) began offering classes on January 7, 1963 in the temporary wartime training quarters of an abandoned Royal Canadian Air Force base. The college moved into its present facilities in 1976. The OPC provides training designed to prepare police officers to perform their duties safely and effectively, while meeting the needs of Ontario's diverse communities.
Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available
Site has blue and gold provincial plaque

Port Burwell Marine Museum and Historic Lighthouse

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
20 Pitt Street and 17 Robinson Street
Port Burwell, Ontario
Telephone: 519-874-4807
Year built: 1840s
Architect: Restored 1986
Building type: Museum
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This 1840s wooden lighthouse is the first marker built west of Long Point and played a vital role in guiding Lake Erie ships to safety. View the collections of historical and marine artifacts, period photographs, lighthouse lenses – including those recovered from local shipwrecks – and a model of the railway car ferry Ashtabula.
Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Self-guided tours available
Trails Open Ontario

Springwater Conservation Area

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
8079 Springwater Road, RR 5
Aylmer, Ontario
Telephone: 519-773-9037
Landscape type: Conservation area
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Come to Springwater Conservation Area and enjoy some time on the water. Canoes are available free of charge from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Parking
Partial wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Straffordville Library

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
9366 Plank Road
Straffordville, Ontario
Telephone: 519-866-3584
Year built: 1984
Building type: Library
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Straffordville Library, which celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2011, was one of the first libraries to join the Elgin County Library Association, in 1936. The existing building is 4,000 square feet (372 square metres) and officially opened on March 5, 1984. Elgin County, Bayham Township and the Lions Club of Straffordville shared the $100 000 cost of the new building.