Search

  • General information
  • Community information
  • BECOME A VOLUNTEER

September 16, 2017 - September 17, 2017

Join us for Doors Open Carleton Place!

Hosted by the town's Municipal Heritage Committee, this event will be a wonderful opportunity to visit historical buildings in the community – often with a chance to see spaces not normally open to the public.

We've included local landmarks like our town hall, as well as churches, former schools and some "over-the-shop" apartments on our main street!

See you in September!

The town of Carleton Place is located on the Mississippi River. Its fast water once powered flour, textile and lumber mills. The first settlers arrived here in 1819 from Ireland, and named their community Morphy's Falls. The town hall and surrounding area is the site of the earliest commercial and residential buildings.

   

Want to get involved?

We're looking for volunteers to help greet visitors and to give tours of our featured sites. It's a great way to spend a few hours; meet neighbours and learn about local history!

Contact us for more information.

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available

Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers Limited

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
142 Franktown Road
Carleton Place, Ontario
Telephone: 613-257-2714
Year built: 1890
Building type: Commercial, Museum, Transportation
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Constructed in 1890 of local limestone, this building contained the roundhouse and engine repair shops for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) until 1939. In 1940, the building was purchased by the Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers. Wool arrives here from across the country and is graded before being shipped out in compact bales. See CPR memorabilia on display throughout the building.

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
267 Edmund Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
Telephone: 613-253-7013
Year built: 1872
Architect: William Rorison
Landscape type: Garden
Building type: Museum
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Erected in 1872 as the Carleton Place Town Hall, this limestone building now houses the local museum. Originally containing council chambers, a lock-up and a public auditorium, it was converted into a school in 1879, which served the community until 1969. The main floor galleries feature exhibits chronicling the town's history. Also see the Community Labyrinth and Victoria School Gardens.

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available
Site has blue and gold provincial plaque
Site is protected by the Ontario Heritage Trust

Carleton Place Town Hall

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
175 Bridge Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
Telephone: 613-257-6200
Year built: 1895-97
Architect: George King
Building type: Historic landmark
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Built between 1895 and 1897, this building was designed by George King to replace the original town hall. Constructed of limestone, it features slate-roofed towers and turrets, stained-glass windows and a dramatic foyer. The bell tower houses the original bell. The tower’s clock was installed in 1990, on the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of Carleton Place.

Guided tours available

Keyes Block Apartments

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
107-109 Bridge Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
Telephone: 613-257-5986
Year built: 1898
Building type: Commercial, Private residence
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

This red-brick building was constructed by George Keyes in 1898 to replace an earlier building that was destroyed by fire. It originally housed George Keyes Boot and Shoes and later the Union Bank of Canada. The upper apartments feature Tudor-style ogee arch windows, original woodwork and a unique glassed ventilation shaft. The storefront windows retain their original copper mullions.

Washrooms
Guided tours available

Masonic Temple

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
53 Bridge Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
Year built: 1911
Building type: Place of worship, Historic landmark
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Masonic Temple was built in 1911 for St. John's Lodge No. 63. The brick building is ornamented by marble keystones, pilasters, entablature and pediment. The Lodge will be celebrating 175 years in Carleton Place in 2018. Don’t miss seeing the members’ signatures, which still adorn the back staircase.

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly

Moore House

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
170 Bridge Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
Year built: early 1880s
Building type: Historic landmark, Museum
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Built by James P. Moore, this building was a general store located on Moore Street. The building was donated to the town in 2006 and moved in 2007. According to local folklore, the ghost of Ida Moore, who died in 1900, inhabits the building. Today, it is home to the Chamber of Commerce, an information centre and Roy Brown Museum.

Guided tours available

Old Post Office and Customs House

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
81 Bridge Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
Year built: 1891
Architect: Thomas Fuller
Building type: Post office
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Constructed in 1891, this building was designed by Thomas Fuller, architect of the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. It's built of New Brunswick red sandstone and Perth red sandstone, sitting atop a Beckwith limestone foundation. This building served as the post office and customs house for Carleton Place until 1970. The clock tower was added in 1913.

Self-guided tours available

Sinders Bridal House

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
10 Lake Avenue West
Carleton Place, Ontario
Telephone: 613-253-0039
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Built for Abner Nichols, mayor of Carleton Place in 1899 and owner of Nichol's Lumber Mill, this three-storey red-brick house now houses an upscale bridal salon – celebrating 30 years in business in 2017! The interior boasts double-tread stairs and triple-fold mahogany doors between the parlours. Look for vintage photos throughout.

Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly

St. James Anglican Church

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
225 Edmund Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
Telephone: 613-257-3178
Year built: 1881
Architect: Mr. Carr
Building type: Place of worship
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

With its steep roofline, dramatic bell tower and buttressed stone walls, St. James – built in 1881 to replace the original 1834 wood-frame church – is a landmark on the north side of the Mississippi River. The century-old pipe organ, beautiful stained-glass windows and soaring beamed ceilings help enhance this lovely place of worship. Enjoy musical entertainment during Doors Open.

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available

Stalwart Brewing Company

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
10 High Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
Telephone: 613-253-2307
Year built: 1850
Building type: Attraction, Commercial, Food and drink
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Located in the rear of one of the town's oldest stone buildings, the Stalwart Brewing Company is a craft beer company dedicated to bold beer. Try a free sample in our sip room and enjoy the original art on the walls while you listen to music on vinyl. Guided tours of the brewery will be available throughout the day.

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available

Zion Memorial United Church

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
37 Franklin Street
Carleton Place, Ontario
Telephone: 613-257-2133
Year built: 1888
Style: Romanesque revival
Building type: Place of worship
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Built by the Methodist congregation, the cornerstone of this Romanesque stone church was laid in May 1888, and the first worship service was held on December 9 that year. In 1954, fire destroyed the building, leaving only the bell tower and steeple standing. The church was rebuilt soon after and opened for worship again on May 22, 1955.