Search

  • General information
  • Community information
  • BECOME A VOLUNTEER

September 17, 2016

Belleville is happy to open its doors once more as part of this free event!

Come and enjoy an opportunity to see some of the hidden heritage of the community. Belleville’s participation in Doors Open was initiated in 2005 by five founding organizations:

  • Heritage Belleville
  • Architectural Conservancy of Ontario (Quinte Branch)
  • Belleville and District Chamber of Commerce
  • Belleville Downtown Improvement Area
  • Hastings County Historical Society
Several sites in and around Belleville are expected to participate this year. Public transport can be used to get from one location to the next, but some will be downtown and are easily accessible on foot.

Belleville is a community of over 50,000 people on the Bay of Quinte. With both the waterfront on the bay and a river cutting though the city, the area evolved from its logging and milling roots to a vibrant multifaceted centre.

For more information, visit our website.

The success of Doors Open Belleville and District can be attributed in part to the dedicated volunteers who help promote the event, and others who assist participating sites on the Doors Open day.

If you're interested in becoming a Doors Open Belleville and District volunteer and would like more information about how you can get involved:

Contact: Stanley Jones
Telephone: 613-849-5931
Email: contact@doorsopenbelleville.ca

Get involved in your community! Become a volunteer today!

Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Bay of Quinte Yacht Club

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
86 South Front Street (Victoria Park)
Belleville, Ontario
Telephone: 613-966-5931
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Located in Victoria Park on the 1930s Corby Bathhouse foundations, this yacht club – established on September 13, 1876 – is the second-oldest yacht club in Ontario, and the fourth-oldest in Canada. The yacht Atalanta was the challenger in the America's Cup race in New York in 1881. Many historical pictures of Victoria Park, club trophies and nautical memorabilia decorate the rooms.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available
Site has blue and gold provincial plaque

Belleville City Hall

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
169 Front Street
Belleville, Ontario
Telephone: 613-968-6481
Year built: 1872-73
Architect: John D. Evans (original building), Bill White (renovation)
Building type: Historic landmark
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Built in 1872-73 by architect John D. Evans (the builder was John Forin) as Belleville’s market building and town hall, this attractive structure – with its tall clock tower – has dominated the downtown landscape for over 140 years. Architect Bill White’s imaginative renovations (1987-88) preserved many original interior architectural features, while adding 929 square metres (10,000 square feet) of space.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
French services available
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Belleville Club, The

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
210 Pinnacle Street
Belleville, Ontario
Telephone: 613-962-1239
Year built: c. 1900
Building type: Commercial
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Established on April 4, 1914, this social club is a not-for-profit limited company owned by its members and shareholders. The building, which dates from around 1900, maintains its post-Victorian elegance. The ambience is enhanced by high ceilings, expansive staircases, brilliant Persian carpets, hardwood floors and oak-panelled walls in the main dining room (capacity 155).
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Kid-friendly
Guided tours available

Belleville Public Library and John M. Parrott Art Gallery

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
254 Pinnacle Street
Belleville, Ontario
Telephone: 613-968-6731
Year built: 2006
Architect: Zeidler Partnership Architects
Style: Art moderne
Building type: Library
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This library has extensive collections, digitization services, computer labs, an art gallery, meeting rooms and more. As of 2016, the community archives are also located here. The old library’s 1909 stained-glass window is prominently displayed in the new building. This Doors Open event will be an opportunity to visit some of the staff areas normally off limits to patrons.
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Self-guided tours available

Children's Safety Village

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
93 Dundas Street East
Belleville, Ontario
Telephone: 613-847-4090
Year built: 2004
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Children’s Safety Village, an educational centre, includes replicas of a variety of city buildings, such as the VIA Rail station, City Hall and the community church. The “villagers” will welcome little guests and their families and offer some insight into how everyone helps a community grow.
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available

Community Archives of Belleville and Hastings County

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
254 Pinnacle Street
Belleville, Ontario
Telephone: 613-391-8568
Year built: 2016
Architect: Shoalts and Zaback
Building type: Library
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Community Archives of Belleville and Hastings County is Ontario's newest archive facility, opened in 2016. A collaborative project, it was built as a partnership between the City of Belleville, the County of Hastings and the Hastings County Historical Society. The archives preserve the history of the community through records of local governments, individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
Parking
Full wheelchair access
Washrooms
Guided tours available
Self-guided tours available

Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment Museum

CONTACT INFO ARCHITECTURE DATES/HOURS OPEN
187 Pinnacle Street
Belleville, Ontario
Telephone: 613-966-2125
Year built: 1908
Building type: Military, Museum
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This building, designed as a class B facility for a single army unit, is based on the standard American armoury model, with offices on the main floor, lecture rooms and messes on the second, a janitor’s apartment on the third and firing ranges in the main hall. The museum, located on the main floor, has exhibits on local military history.