Formerly the Fort William Public Library, this impressive brick-and-limestone library was constructed through a grant from the Carnegie Foundation. The library opened in 1912 under the direction of Fort William's first permanent female librarian, Mary J.L. Black. A true pioneer of strong professional woman in northwestern Ontario, Black also became the first female president of the Ontario Library Association.
- Full wheelchair access
- Self-guided tours available
- Women's history
Contact info216 South Brodie Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario
ArchitectureYear built: 1910-12
Architect: Hood & Scott
Architectural style: Renaissance revival
Building type: Library
Dates/hours openSaturday September 8, 2018
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.